Image Map

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food: Puerto Rican Bistec Encebollado (Steak and Onions)

I married a lovely Puerto Rican woman. What does that mean? On top of everything else I absolutely love about her, the cuisine that comes along with her heritage is AMAZING. The first taste of this cuisine was when her mother made the rice. Oh man, this rice. I can't even describe how amazing it is. Just look at it...


I haven't even attempted this yet. There's a science to it. Not too wet, not too dry. The perfect amount of seasoning. My next taste was when I went to her grandmother's house and had the pork WITH this rice. It was ridiculously amazing. THEN we went to Puerto Rico and it was just too much to handle. Mofongo, Fried Plantain, Empanadas (on the beach), Medalla Light (beer), Magna (beer) and so much more. 


Then I had Bistec Encebollado. Only people that have had it can describe it. So what do? Make it when I get home. I've been making it for a couple of years now and keep trying different cuts of meat to see which ones we like. Last night we tried bottom round and it was delicious. Perfect texture for this meal. I first based my recipe off of this recipe.


Total Time: 4-24 hours
Prep: 5 minutes
Inactive: 4-24 hours
Cook: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
1 lb steak (I've tried many. The "bad" cuts are always the best and most tender)

1 large yellow onion sliced
1 packet sazon (white)
1 packet sazon (yellow)
1 tablespoon adobo
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2 tbsp garlic minced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt


Directions
Prepare all ingredients and place in a ziploc bag with the steak. Set in fridge for 4 hours or over night to marinate. **If you're short on time you can skip this step**

Dump all ingredients into a heavy pan and cook until boiling. Once boiling turn heat to low, cover and cook for 40 minutes or so. Once done meat will be very tender.


Side note:
The New England 1020 IPA is fermenting like crazy! When I left the house this morning there was an extremely thick layer of krausen in the carboy! Super excited. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment