Image Map

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Food: Kick the Microwave. Easy Popcorn.

Yes, microwave popcorn is easier. But for me, there was so much more I wanted from my popcorn. I wanted to make it any way I wanted to without purchasing a million different boxes. So what did I do? Started making it from scratch. Well, I mean I didn't grow corn stalks and pick my own cobs. It's extremely simple to make, and I'll tell you how I do it.


You can use any oil but I prefer extra virgin olive oil. I am obsessed with the flavor and aroma of it. Start off by coating the base of a sauce pan with the oil. Heat it on medium and put one kernel in. This is a timer to let you know when to put the rest of the kernels in.


Once the kernel pops, pour enough kernels in to coat the bottom of the pan. At this stage, if you want to make kettle corn just add a spoonful of sugar.


Cover the pan. Shake the pan back and forth to keep the kernels from burning. Make sure you keep a good grip on that cover as those kernels start popping at an extremely fast rate.


Once the kernels stop popping or slow to about every 5 seconds, they should be done. Pour it into a bowl and salt immediately. Salt to your taste. Everyone has a different palette. You can also add any other ingredient you want here such as butter. Now go put on a great movie and enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Nice! My husband and I always make from scratch but never thought to add the sugar to the oil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love kettle corn so I just decided to through some sugar in and it was absolutely delicious!

      Delete