Image Map

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Food: Crock Pot Spicy Pulled Pork

I've been making pulled pork for years now and use a general base recipe. I tweak it every time and this time I made it, I really enjoyed it. I came up with this recipe all by myself and think it is delicious! Give it a try and let me know what you think!


Total Time: 8-9 hours
Prep: 10 min
Inactive: 7-8 hours
Cook: 7-8 hours
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
2.5lbs Pork Roast Tenderloin Whole Fresh
1 Bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'n Spicy Barbecue Sauce (18 oz)
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper
1 Medium Green Bell Pepper
1 Medium Red Onion
1 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper (less if you don't want that spicy)
1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 teaspoons Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Adobo

Directions
Put the pork into the crock pot. Season the pork with 2 teaspoons Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, 1 teaspoon Paprika, and 1 teaspoon of Adobo to both sides. Next put the brown sugar on top of the pork. Put the bell peppers, onion, crushed red pepper and garlic in. Now you can pour the BBQ sauce, water, and vinegar in. Give it a good stir to make sure everything distributes evenly.

Set the crock pot on low and let it simmer for about 8 hours. I usually prep it in the morning and let it go while I am at work. After the 8 hours you can either turn it off or I usually put it on a setting my crock pot has called "Warm". Take the pork out and put it in a large bowl. Shred the pork with two forks and then cover with tin foil to ensure it stays warm.

(Optional)
You can strain everything that is left over in the crock pot into a medium size sauce pan. Save everything that was strained in an extra bowl. Put it on low heat and slowly add corn starch and flour to thicken it up into a BBQ sauce. Do about a tablespoon at a time and use your judgement when you think it's thick enough. It'll have a little extra flavor than the standard Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'n Spicy Barbecue Sauce. I strain it again and throw it into the fridge to let it cool and thicken some more. Now you have some delicious garlic, pepper, and onion toppings with a semi homemade BBQ sauce.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment