Image Map

Friday, October 24, 2014

Beer: Belgian Quad Bottling Disaster...


Last night I decided to bottle the Quadrupel that had been sitting in my basement since oh, February maybe? I have been afraid to bottle this because of the yeast and sugar I am adding at bottling, I was afraid of bottle bombs. My buddy Ryan bought bottles for us which was amazing! A while back I went to Strange Brew in Marlborough because I was in the area to look for some corks, a corker, bottle ties, and yeast. I needed some advice because I had never done this before. I asked a million times if this small red corker would do the trick on some Belgian bottles. I was assured over and over that it would...

Fast forward to last night and, well it did not do the trick.


Of course I didn't check to see if it worked before I sanitized EVERYTHING and transferred EVERYTHING to the bottling bucket. I tried my hardest to jam that guy in there and no go. My hands actually have blisters on them today. Well, to be fair I also assembled most of the chairs for our brand new 11 foot dining room table so that may have something to do with it as well. So here I am, freaking out because I don't want my precious beer that had been aging for over 6 months to spoil. Then my wife calmly just says, "Text Pat. He definitely has one". Genius. He also works at Homebrew Emporium over in West Boylston where I get all of my ingredients. The place is amazing. 

I text Pat and get the BEST response ever. 


I drive over to his homestead, pick up the beast and get back to bottling. And when I say beast, I mean beast.


All bottled, corked, and caged. Ready to rock. I can't wait to drink this one.


So moral of the story? Definitely check everything before you get too far ahead. I usually do because I am super OCD when it comes to this type stuff. I wasn't thinking and was very excited to finally get this bottled. Oh well! Crisis averted thanks to Pat! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment