Image Map

Monday, January 5, 2015

Beer: I Built a Hop Spider


So this weekend I randomly decided to build a hop spider. I was watching a video by Chop & Brew about a beer they brewed and aged it in a Woodinville Whiskey Rye Barrel. I noticed they were using one in the video. It seems like a neat idea for an easier cleanup. So I looked up how to do it here and made a trip to Lowe's to pickup some supplies. After posting on reddit, it seems like most people prefer the stainless steel option. The PVC I bought seems to be extremely tough and durable so we'll see. The heat distortion temperature of PVC is 197.6°F and most boils are 210°F+. Since it'll be above the boil, I'm hoping the wort vapor won't be too bad.  

The wife and I wanted to start up an online store selling random stuff we make and I've decided this is going to be my first item. I know a lot of people brewing are the DIY type, but some people may not have the tools or means to do so. I'm not looking to profit, but to help a fellow brewer out! More to come on the new store we're opening!!


No comments:

Post a Comment